((Article Date 5/11/2018))
Ella Evans here to give you the scoop!
Normally the reporter isn’t the witness, but I happened to be house sitting for my mother when I awoke from a nap to the smell of smoke! As I rushed outside, I saw the house across the street up in flames! The Fire Department arrived quickly, and got to work immediately. Within the hour, the fire was extinguished.
I e-mailed Chief Sheppard with a couple questions about what happened, and this is what he had to say:
Q: Can I have a brief summary of the events?
A: Got a report of a Fire on Ginger Ave unknown address. Arriving in Engine-51 noticing the blaze calling for the additional tower from Station. Attacking the interior and attacking the exterior from variable of angles to keep the blaze contained to the property.
Q: How did the fire happen?
A: Searching the residence found a charred pile of leaves and a small cigarette. Suspected dry leaves ignited with a spark from a cigarette, catching the trees ablaze and spreading to the house.
Q: Is arson suspected?
A: At this time Arson is not Suspected.
Q: Was anyone injured, either civilians or anyone on your team?
A: Aside from a few singes on our uniforms no Civilian or FD members were injured in today’s fire.
Q: Were you pleased at how your team handled the situation?
A: I was pleased with the performance the team knowing what to do and following orders to the letter.
Q: What can residents do to prevent this from happening at their home?
A: Watch just where you toss things. Not only is it littering and bad for the town as a whole it can cause a whole new dangerous level.
Thankfully, the fire didn’t spread, and no other houses were affected. Starlight Cinema is still in perfect shape! If you see any of the hard working fire fighters around town, make sure to give them a big THANK YOU! They were true heroes today and kept our community safe.